suburbs

  • 0
Brennan Manning: The Ragamuffin Gospel

"In effect, Jesus says the kingdom of His Father is not a subdivision for the self-righteous nor for those who feel they possess the state secret of salvation. The kingdom is not an exclusive, well-trimmed suburb with snobbish rules about who can live there. No, it is for a larger, homelier, less self-conscious caste of people who understand they are sinners because they have experienced the yaw and pitch of moral struggle."

"The church is not a museum for saints but a hospital for sinners."

Me- I guess it just makes me smile that God's kingdom is more like a big, disorganized party of sinners than it is a suburb of rich know-it-alls. This is why, in my opinion, so many "religious" people are very uncomfortable with undignified faith. I read that and it just made me smile.

No comments: