Nostalgia

  • 0
In my busy, busy day today, I had to spend many hours at the library researching and photocopying. However, after my break for lunch, I stopped at Starbucks on the way back to school. I went in and sat down at a table by the window with my computer and stuff (even though I didn't buy a drink). For the first time in a while, I was in Starbucks by myself, sitting and listening and watching people as I did my work.

I was swept down memory lane, back to the countless hours I spent working in Starbucks during my non-existant senior year of high school (during which I surfed and worked every day, since I only had one credit left to graduate and took it at home). The sights and the smells and the music all reminded me of those days. As is commonly true of the phenomenon known as memory, everything was shaded positively, everything was rose-colored and pleasant and a part of me wanted those days again.

I like those nostalgic times. Anyone who knows me and my lack of memory (usually related to things in my past... for some reason I can remember all the useless Jeopardy facts a brain can hold, but I can't remember the name of my second grade teacher for the life of me), it is simply an accomplishment to remember something, to remember it vividly and to be able to sink into that memory as if it were an old coat that had been sitting in a closet waiting to be used.

That was an amazingly long sentence.

No comments: