Nostalgia

  • 1
This will be a long post. I was reading through some old stuff today and it gave me joy, so I figured I would repost/update it.

I think about how there is so much nostalgia for me through music. When you hear certain songs, they instantly take you to a place and a time and memories come to light that had been dormant. These songs transcend being music and become an experience. Here are some of my memories (there are many):

"Wheel" by John Mayer- Driving to Broward Community College my senior year of high school when this album first came out. This was my favorite song.

"Southern Girl" by Incubus- My short lived relationship with Kristen.

"City Love" by John Mayer- Downtown San Francisco in 2003. I know the song is about NYC, but I listened to it while walking the downtown beauty of San Fran.

"Amsterdam" by Coldplay, "Wounded" by 3EB, the entire Vertical Horizon album "Everything You Want"- Nancy and our fun five months.

"Ms. Potter's Lullaby" by Counting Crows- Jared Kirk in college, who claimed to have memorized all the lyrics. Impossible.

The entire "Out of the Vein" album by 3EB- Driving to the beach with Jared to go surfing, usually stupidly early in the mornings.

Dashboard Confessional album "The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most"- A painful breakup. Who likes this album and it doesn't remind them of a painful breakup? That is also impossible.

"Back to You" by John Mayer- Failed relationships and "What-could-have-beens".

"Different Names for the Same Thing" by Death Cab- Riding trains in England and France.

Ok, thats all for now. What about you, my blog reader?

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Hi Harrison,
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Reading yours, I see that you have an affinity for music. I live in Seattle and love Death Cab (as well as Gibbard's other group, the Postal Service, etc). Reading this post reminded me of song memories like hearing James Blunt's "Beautiful" at a cafe in Paris or Jack Johnson's "Bubble Toes" while my boyfriend turned corners too fast in Sardinia, Italy, where he lives. "Split Screen Sadness", another Mayer classic, reminded me of bawling my eyes out over the loss of my first great love. Okay, gotta stop with the too much information. :)

If you like checking out new music, I recommend a friend's local site www.threeimaginarygirls.com as well as our local Seattle radio station KEXP.org that is online as well as podcasted on iTunes. Fun stuff! Prost! -Rochelle