Good Scene (from "Stranger Then Fiction")

  • 0
Harold Crick: [Runs to Ana the baker with a box of 10 paper bags in it] I'm glad I caught you. I wanted to give you these.

Ana Pascal: Wait, you can give presents, but not receive them? That sounds awfully inconsistent, Mr. Crick.

Harold: Yes, but...

Ana: Wait, I know, I'll purchase them! Yeah, I'll purchase them.
[Reaches into her bag to grab her wallet]

Harold: No, no, no, no.

Ana: [With wallet in hand, stops to actually look at the box] What are they?

Harold: [quietly] Flours.

Ana: What?

Harold: I brought you flours.

Ana: [See the sweetness of the gesture, then realizing he's carried 10 bags of flours] Wait, you carried them all the way here?

Harold: Miss Pascal, I've been odd. I know I've been odd, and I know that there are many forces at work telling me to bring these down here to you, but I brought these for you because... I want you.

Ana: [a bit taken aback, and ready to be really offended] Excuse me?

Harold: I want you.

Ana: You want me?

Harold: In no uncertain terms.

Ana: [realizing that he's really not being a creep and just a guy who's not used to saying what he feels] But isn't there some... I don't rule about fraternization...

Harold: Auditor / Auditee protocols, yes, but I don't care.

Ana: Why not?

Harold: Because I want you.

Ana: [Contemplates him for a second, and looks back at the box] Can you carry those a little bit further.

Harold: Okay.

Ana: [as their walking with Harold carrying the box of color flagged bags of flour] So did you make a key?

Harold: Uh no I just committed it to memory. The blue, that-that's barley flour.

Ana: What's that one?

Harold: The orange?

Ana: Yeah.

Harold: I forget.
[Ana laughs, and they stop in front of a building]

Ana: Right here.

Harold: [he looks up at the building] Oh.

Ana: Do you wanna come up?

Harold: To your place?

Ana: Yeah.

Harold: Uh, I guess. I could.

Ana: Wasn't that the idea, with the flours and everything?

Harold: Honestly, I had only figured it out up to, 'I want you.'

Ana: Listen, Mr. Crick, I think I like you. And before I do anything rash, I'd like to make sure. I'd like you to come up.

Harold: I'd be honored.

Ana: Great.

No comments: